Breaking up can be hard to do, especially after years of being together. But there comes a time when you just have to say goodbye. Have you been thinking about ending it with your current cable provider? Have you been wondering what it would be like to have an extra $100 a month without that insane cable bill? We’re here to tell you about cutting the cord and and how to save money without sacrificing your entertainment.
How To Cut The Cable Cord
First things first, you will need to call your current cable provider and cancel services. Be prepared that they are going to pull out the stops to keep you committed to them. They will offer you upgrades to your package at no charge to stay on as a customer. While these offers may be tempting, you have to ask yourself is three months of binging Shameless worth your goal of saving up for your Bali vacation? Priorities.
Once you safely make it past their bright and shiny offers and terminate the service, make sure to get a confirmation number and the name of the agent you spoke to. You will then need to turn in all of the equipment you have to the nearest location or you will be on the hook to pay hundreds of dollars for it. Get a receipt for turning in your boxes and remotes, and hold onto it to make sure when you receive your final bill everything is accounted for.
Congratulations! You’ve broken up with cable and are moving on to a better and brighter financial future.
How To Stream TV & Movies
Streaming is easy, all you need to stream is the internet. If you don’t already own a Smart TV, you will need an Amazon Fire TV Stick, Apple TV, or a Roku Streaming Stick. Hooking these devices up to your TV will allow internet access and give you streaming capabilities. The Fire TV already comes loaded with Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime TV & Movies, and access to all the streaming services.
All that’s left to do is decide what Live Streaming Service best fits your needs. We’ve broken down the top services and their features so you can easily browse them and make your decision.
Cutting The Cord Streaming Options:
- Cost: $44.99/month after 7 day free trial.
- 60+ top live and on demand channels.
- Unlimited access to Hulu streaming library.
- Stream 2 devices at a time, 50 hours of cloud DVR storage.
- Available Add Ons: Unlimited screens, HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz, Enhanced Cloud DVR, Entertainment Add On, Espanol Add On.
Best for serious streamers who love to binge watch titles and want access to Hulu’s extensive library of movies and television shows. There’s a good range of Live Sports, but missing NFL, Red Zone, and NBA League Pass.
- Cost: $16-$20 per month after a 7-day free trial.
- Included: 44 or 57 channels, unlimited recording stored for 30 days. Stream TV on up to three devices at once.
- No Available Add Ons.
Best for someone looking to stream live TV on a budget. It is however missing Primetime Networks and Sports Channels.
– Sling TV
- Cost: $25-$40 per month after a 7-day free trial.
- Included: Sports and entertainment networks, NBC Universal Network, and FOX Network.
- Available Add Ons: Showtime, Starz, Comedy Package, Kids Package, News Package, Cloud DVR.
Best for people who enjoy a mix of programs, but you’ll need to get the Orange + Blue package to enjoy all the features. It’s missing ABC and CBS but if you’re willing to prepay for 3 months, they’ll send you an RCA HDTV Indoor Antenna Air Tv Player Bundle to access local channels.
- Cost: $50-70 per month.
- Plus Package includes 40+ channels with HBO.
- Max Package includes 50+ channels with HBO and Cinemax.
- Cloud DVR Storage.
- Stream 2 screens at a time.
- Available Add Ons: Starz, Showtime, Stream 3 Screens.
Best if you love watching the News and Premium Networks. If you prepay for four months, they will gift you an Apple TV 4K perfect for streaming! However, this option is on the more expensive end of the streaming services.
- Cost: $40 per month after a 5-day free trial.
- 60+ Networks including Sports, Entertainment and Primetime Networks.
- 6 Accounts per Household.
- Cloud DVR with no storage limits.
- Available Add Ons: NBA League Pass, Starz, Showtime
Best for sports fans and entertainment junkies alike. It has the most amount of streams at a time allowed compared to other services. Perfect for large families!
- Cost: $44.99 for first month after a 7-day free trial, $54.99 per month after that.
- 90+ networks, 110+ networks with Extra.
- Free cloud DVR.
- Available Add Ons: NBA League Pass, Showtime, Cloud DVR Plus, Family Share
Best for sports fans since FuboTV includes the NFL Network and YES. Sadly, it’s missing ABC so if that’s a dealbreaker, this is not the streaming service for you.
- Cost: $4.99 per month after a 7-day free trial.
- Apple TV+ original TV shows and movies.
- Up 6 people can use one account.
- Available Add Ons: None currently
If you are looking to new shows and movies to watch, you might want to try Apple TV+ out for a month. If you want to watch your favorite shows that are on television or live TV, this isn’t the service for you. As this service expands, more and more content will be added.
- Cost: $15 per month after a 7-day free trial, or free if you have an AT&T unlimited + more plan.
- Included: 35+ channels of Live TV, 15,000 on demand titles.
- Available Add Ons: HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz
Best if you are an AT&T unlimited + more plan subscriber and want to take advantage of this bonus. It’s missing all the Primetime networks but for the price, it still offers you a lot of entertainment like TBS, the Cartoon Network, and the Discovery Channel.
Now that you’ve made a decision on a streaming service and plan, you have successfully become a streamer! You are making a big impact on your financial future with all of your savings by cutting the cord and breaking up with cable. Sit back and enjoy the show, guilt free.
If you want to save even more money without thinking about it, check out our Digit App Review.